



Fred retired as of last Friday, December 14. On Saturday he hosted a celebratory gig that included co-workers, friends, neighbors and family.
One of his co-workers, Norman (who is British with the accompanying sense of humor) created the attached images of Fred and I thought you all might enjoy them.
congrats Fred!
meg
5 comments:
not only is fred lookin' good but
what a fabulous job posting pics!
congrats freddie!!
Congratulations, Fred,
What are your plans, besides
playing golf? Really, what will
you fill your day with? Any
hobbies, interests, etc, you
always wanted to try, and now is
your big chance!!!! Our very best
wishes for a long and fulfilling
retirement.
As in high-school or college graduations, the event is referred to as "Commencement", the beginning. It always sounded strange that to commemorate an event like graduations the word commencement was used. Instead of honoring the completion of a certain ciriculua the honor goes to the next step in the process, the "Beginning" of the next step. I suppose that's positive thinking and looking happily toward the future.
So likewise I, having been retired myself all these many 9 months and 20 days, think retirement should also be celebrated as a Commencement, a new beginning for a new part of life. In high-school I was sure I'd never forget or lose touch with my 60 other senior class-mates who I lived with for three years and the many other under-classmen I knew. I now communicate with very few, seldomly and remotely, through e-mail. We've moved on with our lives. At college graduation I thought I would never forget and always see our very close-knit geology group. We had road trips, field trips and camping trips together, in the snow, in the Rockies and searching for jobs together all through the west Texas oil fields. Today I see none of them. We've moved on. Vietnam was the same. It was a shorter duration but the experience was intense. I even became part of the 101st Airborne support group and went to a Company reunion in Des Moines to rekindle that lost commeraderie. It was gone. We've moved on. At Ford Motor for 41 years I met thousands of people and knew hundreds by name. When our group would walk to the cafeteria for coffee in the morning I was like a moving welcoming committee. My friends would ofter remark, "Is there anyone at Ford that you don't know?" And yet after all that, I speak with just a handful of friends. We've moved on.
This may seem a little sad but it's not. That is just the way life is. One chapter closes and a new one begins with new opportunities to do new things and meet new people, a beginning, a "Commencement"!
And so, Fred, I know you've given this decision to retire a great amount of thought. There are a lot of factors that go into the mix. But on a high level you've made a good decision and the right decision. After the newness wears off, I wish for you to have the calmness and tranquility that I now enjoy. You don't have to go anywhere special or do anything earth-shaking. Just be at peace, and enjoy.
beautifully stated, frankie.
and now that the garden is sleeping,
how are you whittling away the hours?
My days are initially going to be filled with cleaning out my closet, cleaning out my computer/office room and doing whatever Rita puts on THE LIST for me to do. In the long run I will play a little more golf, ride my bike to the beach twice a week, play racquetball at least once a week and go hiking around the OC once a week with a group that my friend Paul knows.
I have also already retrieved all the books in the house that I bought with the intentention to read but never did. I have entered them in a spreadsheet and chosen my top 10 out of the 60+ books that I found. This will keep me busy for a while.
I have also promised to help Julie in her classroom with her Best Foot Forward program for her 1st graders. I have to test them for comprehension of the book they have read befor they go on to the next one. I also have an idea for volunteering with a group in Fountain Valley that helps people get started in the job market again.
So all in all I should be able to keep busy until Rita retires this summer and we do some traveling. Also I will be doing the laundry every week and trying to cook a little.
I agree with Frank this is a commencement of the next part of my and Rita's life. I am looking forward to it and anticipate enjoying it for as long as I can.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!!
Post a Comment