Sunday, August 3, 2008
On Being 58
About 20 years ago I bought a pair of gym shoes at American Eagle during a Friends & Family sale. They were made in Poland and I paid $11.00 for them. I was quite proud of my frugality, even though they didn't quite fit but they were the only size left. They had no street use since I carried them in my bag to the gym and the weight room and exercize floors were carpeted. But age finally cought up to my beautiful imported shoes and the rubber sole of the RH shoe began to separate from the upper part. Time to go shopping at Foot Locker you say? I wouldn't hear of it! I swathed the inards in rubber cement and affixed five C-clamps to the shoe while it dries. It appears to be in traction, resting peacefully on the basement floor in post-op. Even though I recognized the road I was walking down, I couldn't avert my pace. I was genetically pre-destined. I have now officially become my father. I am not startled or shocked, however. There have been other little hints scoffing my demise over the years. The boot incident comes to mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Only 58? Your shoe isn't the only thing being repaired. I get accused all the time by our kids of inflicting puns into their lives (Even when they recite them they are still "Dad Jokes"). I just smile, thinking how much our own Dad enjoyed puns and frequently inflicted them on us when we were growing up. (Once Dad offered me some white "Euprates" crackers with the question: "You 'fraid these?")
Ok, I'll bite...what is the
boot incident? Kathy
Maybe it's because I'm one of the youngest (!) but I don't know the boot incident either.
Tell all Frank - you do that so well!
meg
While you are becoming your father, I'm becoming grandma. I now feel no shame rinsing out zip lock bags or reusing tin foil. I call it good for the environment. It's when I take off a sweatshirt and find a tissue in the sleeve, then I know I hit a low.
Jo:
do you know how hilarious you are?? Those comments are uncomfortably familiar, too...
How's the baby?
meg
Happy Birthday, Meg!!
Did you take the day off..I hope
this was a particularly good
birthday in California!!
Love you.
yes frank, regale the boot story!!
huzzah!!!
i personally like 'gladiator' puns...
and joanne - rinsing out and reusing is very green of you - and economical. statistic, statistic,
blah blah.....great job!
chris
Post a Comment