Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting - 04NOV08

We have two voting precints in our little city. Both had lines out the doors and into the parking lot. I waited in line for an hour to vote. Anybody else wait longer, shorter, start any fights? Beautiful day in the Mitten here, sunny, blue skies, rustling leaves under foot, temps in the 70's.

15 comments:

meg y. said...

Voting very pleasant here in SoCal. The weather is "fall" at a temperate 63 degrees. I voted two weeks ago using an absentee ballot, never having done that before.

In MI seems like every presidential election it's cold and rainy and I stand in line with my neighbors waiting to vote. Frank says the weather is lovely in MI today and it was raining here!

It appears here in FV that voters are turning out early in in good numbers. I have a website up to watch returns as the day goes on.
-meg

Wilcox McGee said...

I showed up at my poll at 8AM and had about 100 people in front of me, but luckily got bumped to the short line because I lived in the green rather than orange zone of the neighborhood. All told, only waited about 25 minutes and this lady from House http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1312575/ was in line behind me. I swear!

Becky said...

I've been voting absentee for about 2 years. I'm able to check online to make sure they received my ballot. Most places around our house had major lines.

I just hope Florida doesn't mess this vote up again:)

adam said...

I registered as a mail-in voter but I took my time researching all candidates and bills and, as such, was past the time period to mail in my votes.

Instead, around 10 am I simply walked my envelope up the street to the voting building, waited behind the one other person in line and then handed my votes to the volunteer. One sticker later and I've officially voted this year.

I hope all you CA voters voted no on Prop 8. If I find out you voted yes you're getting coal for every family function from here on out.

meg y. said...

california bill:
you live, essentially, in Santa Monica, so it was probably "13" that you did see in line. Did you get a photo??
-meg

the hibs said...

kelly and i stopped for coffee, tea and fuel for the car at speedway and headed over to our precinct to vote. we did not anticipate too much of a wait as it was 9am and, well, we have never had an issue with long lines. the parking lot was jammed and we got nervous. we walked into the gym where are precinct workers were hangin' and signed the form and voted. about 7 minutes all told. good stuff. randy went at about 3pm and the same story. he was voter number nbr 552. i was 169. it's all good in suburbia! and the weather was superb today. and the NYSE closed over 300 points up!

Brandon said...

I, too, passed on the line-waiting. I ordered the early-voting ballot and, like Adam, took too long "researching the issues" to mail it in. So I drove up to the polling station last night (after writing down all my answers so Molly would know how to vote.) (Just kidding. Molly doesn't need my help. She knew the propositions better than I did.)

Do you research all the judges and local candidates for the more obscure positions (e.g. regent for MSU)? I almost never do. As such, I don't feel like I can vote for any of them. My solution for a long time was to simply write in a vote for my dad. However, since he is not qualified to serve on the Colorado Supreme Court because of a geographical disability, I need a new default. Any suggestions?

As to the weather: perfect in Denver for the past week or so. But we have a "Pray for Snow" party on Saturday, so hopefully it won't last.

Reets said...

Thoroughly enjoyed all the election day comments! I too voted by absentee ballot. Did not check to see if it arrived - did not know you could do that, Becky!
As for Adam and his lump of coal, BO intends to do away with the coal companies, so gather your coal chunks while ye may...just in case. Audrey had to circumnavigate the deer, just to get to work today! Do you think that was someone's idea of voter intervention?? Well, I'm glad to have a voice, and live in a country where I can use it. That was not always true for women in this country. I will always be greatful for that - however the election turns out.

Frank said...

California Bill, I don't watch House (wish I did, it seems to be a smart series, but I don't) so I don't know who Olivia Wilde is. Hope you slipped your ph. # into her purse/pockets. Not that I've ever resorted to such low-ball tactics (Oh yes I have!!!).

Brandon, I do some research on the judges & state funded college regents. Ok, Fred/Rita/Meg, stop reading here. My default consideration for these candidates is how well they are scored by the gay community, whether they have helped us or hurt us. It may seem narrow minded but if I know nothing else about a candidate, I decide by that criteria.

the hibs said...

wednesday 5november08 and we are poised for a new beginning. whew.
i am excited that we have hope as a collective. and that the world is watching with hope, also. and that our youth were involved in great numbers in this election. they have a whole different perspective and i hope it's a positive one.

California Fred said...

To coin a phrase: The election was historically proportional!! And I voted 2 weeks ago by mail.

I went to Julie's class room yesterday and administered BFF reading questions to her first graders. They are so innocent and far removed from the election. It felt GOOD!! Actually theraputic.

Congratulations to all the Obamaists. I hope he runs the White House as well as he did his campaign.

Will said...

I voted by mail. A few weeks ago I was emailing Steve, who asked me about Jim Plakas, a candidate for the local district court. When I later came across a link to his website, I sent Jim this message:

You will be happy to know that your hard work chasing down
votes may pay off in one of the most remote parts of the world. My
son Steve, who currently works for the Peace Corps on the (Pacific)
Island of Fiji, recently emailed me asking, in effect, whether I would
endorse Jim Plakas for judge. I assumed that he had received his
absentee ballot, and was working his way through the choices he was
being asked to make. I responded briefly (and positively) but neither
of us had much time to chat. During our weekend phone conversation,
however, I asked him why he had only asked me about one candidate.
His answer was that Jim Plakas was the only one who bothered to send
him campaign literature, and if his vote was so important that he was
tracked down and sent a flyer in Fiji, then he
would seriously have to consider giving Jim his vote. Best wishes.
Bill Selinsky (Winchester, VA)

A few days later, I got this response:

You sure know how to lift a guy's spirits after another long day of
campaigning. It's more impressive that your son cared enough about our
system to take the steps to obtain an Absentee Ballot while out of the
country nonetheless. Congratulations on his work in the Peace Corps. I'm
sure you are very proud. Thanks for the note. ONLY TWO WEEKS TO GO!!!!!!!

JIM PLAKAS

Mr. Plakas is now the new 35th District Judge.

Frank said...

I'm still pulling for Al Franken to win the Senate seat from Minnesota. Remember the former governor, Jesse Ventura? Semi-popular and did no real harm and certainly boosted the image of Minnesota. If nothing else, Al Franken will be funny! Yes?

California Fred said...

Abraham Lincoln wrote before his first inauguration:

“By the frame of the government under which we live, [the people] have wisely given their public servants but little power for mischief; and have, with equal wisdom, provided for the return of that letter to their own hands at very short intervals. [four years]
Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world?”

The author of the book "Lincoln’s Virtues", which I have just finished, went on to say:

“ So there was an incoming president making the peculiar plea: Don’t worry. I won’t be here long. I am so constrained, and time is so short, that even my folly and wickedness cannot hurt the government too badly. “

Let us hope and pray that BO will not do too much 'mischief'.

Frank said...

Well if BO does only half as much damage as Bush 43, we should all be very relieved. Way to be positive, California Fred!