Selinsky Reunion 2008
After a brief holiday respite (spanning the last half-dozen holidays), the Reunion Planning Committee is back in effect. During the RPC's annual Christmas meeting, we agreed that it would be best if we could get as many family members to the reunion as possible, and so the reunion should be as accessible as possible. We also agreed that we really need input from everyone in order to get this thing rolling; reservations should be locked in within the next couple weeks. So please, before you go back to checking your e-mail or playing spider solitaire, put in your two cents.
Our two potential destinations, according to the discussion several blogs ago, were Colorado and Tahoe. I crunched some numbers to try to figure out what would be more affordable in terms of both travel and lodging. If you don’t like numbers, click here.
(Note: For those of you who clicked on the link, I have no idea what that's all about. It just says something about hating numbers, in the headline. That’s the only relevance. I thought maybe you number haters could get together and form a group or something.)
I looked up airfare on Orbitz to both places from several different airports in Michigan and southern California, since those will probably our most common starting places. Tahoe is more expensive from Michigan, Denver is more expensive from California. Michigan is more expensive to fly out of in general: the fare to Reno, as averaged from three MI airports, was $513 (avg. of $392 to Denver). California travelers have it a little better with an average of $231 to Reno and $298 to Denver.
You may be able to find way better deals than this before summer rolls around. I just took a sampling of internet fares for the first weekend in August as an arbitrary date. Of course, you can also get to Denver by boat. It’s on the Platte River. You can pull right into downtown. Think about it.
I also looked up some lodging in several different parts of Colorado. The prices don’t vary too much across the different areas, but the distance does. How does everyone feel about driving a lot after getting off the plane? The closest place on my list was Winter Park, 1.5-2 hours from the airport. The resort has cabins available that sleep 8-10 for $257/night. There’s plenty to do and see in Winter Park during the summer: hiking, mountain biking, alpine slide, rafting, tubing, etc. They also have lots of concerts and other such events throughout the summer.
A little further away (~3 hours) is Glenwood Springs, where the big attractions are the hot springs, Hanging Lake, and the beautiful mountainside. There are also a number of vineyards in the area and, of course, all the usual mountain activities. Cabins run about $160-225/night for 4-7 people each, and there’s a ranch house that fits 10 for $500/night.
Still further away is Durango. When I asked my native Colorado friends what was the best place to visit in Colorado, they said Durango. It’s about a 5 hour drive from Denver, but that’s 5 hours of beautiful mountain scenery. Not like you’d be staring at cornfields and prairie grass the whole time. Anyway, the cabins I found are right on Vallecito Lake in the San Juan National Forest and run $140/night for 4 guests (additional charge for more guests). They look pretty basic, but the location is pretty rad. Durango offers balloon and glider rides, fishing, rafting, ancient Pueblo ruins, and a great event calendar.
My suggestion would be to stick with Winter Park, just because it’s way closer and, really, their beer is just as good as the beer in Durango.
That’s the Colorado side of it. I can’t remember how much the lodging was going to be in Tahoe; Sharon, would you mind reposting that?
So please let me know—right away, if possible—what you’d like to see in the family reunion. Specifically, I’d like to know what you think about the WHERE and WHEN. I used the first weekend in August, from Thursday, July 31-Sunday, August 3, as an arbitrary date for figuring out prices, but I’m free pretty much all summer.
Brandon
RPC Co-Chair
45 comments:
Brandon, I think you did a very
good research job. I will go
along with you to Winter Park.
It is a beautiful area, not quite
so far to drive, and reasonable.
Those who are inclined to see more
of Colorado while in the state
could always come early or stay
after others return home. Hope
you get lots of feedback. Thanks
My mom loves me THREE TIMES! Awesome. Thanks for responding, Ma!
b - kathy just wanted to make it look like people were responding.
i will definitely be there if you can arrange for the 'shins' to play in the local pub while we are there....
ps...i am in for anywhere. if people need help with air travel plans i may be able to assist. i have also offered to take someone with me on a companion pass.
christine
I'm not sure what I'm writing here, because it's all in Japanese...but if this goes through, then YAY!! I GOT IN THE BLOG!! Beenie, I love you four times! But remember that Mom loves us all the same amount...we're all special in our own way. haha :o) Um, yeah dude ~ the Piazzas are totally down for wherever the party is. Aunt Chris, can you fly us back on a companion ticket from Japan? That would be great. It's a quick, easy trip...just ask my Mom. No, but we'll be Americans again by then (hooray!), so Josh & I will be there or be square...and Will too, if he's not deployed. Good work, big brother!
Thanks, little sister! That was all pretty hilarious. I hope you guys can make it. Maybe this time you won't get lost in the airport on the way home . . .?
Aunt Chris, the Shins aren't touring right now. But they said they'd come play Winter Park this summer if only you would give them your t.v. (True story.)
Brandon, Steve & I are open to either Colorado or Tahoe. I think that if Colorado is choosen we should stick with Winter Park idea. Also, I vote for early August. Thanks for taking charge!
Actually anytime in August works for us.
WOO HOO!!! we got game goin' on!
ok. winter park it is. first week
in august (my birthday week...) i'll
bring the marshmallows.
WELCOME ABOARD ERIN!!!!!!!
chris
What about Tahoe?
Sharon did some investigation about Tahoe for us and Sharon please check in with some current prices. Thanks!!
Wow!, my "blog entry" was powerful! I have apparently blocked all others from making comments. Or, everyone is still recovering from holiday partying. In any case, I still vote for Tahoe...or Michigan. If I had to pay air fare to see everyone I'd rather it be Michigan (no offense, Brandon and Molly). But Tahoe sounds great to me! Have never been there and would like to go. Lots of West-coast Michiganians could also attend without having to pay airfare. Pam can have an extra visit to see her West coast grandbabies! Ah, the list is endless! Sharon, are you out there? We need your input as to current costs. Anyone? Anyone??
Tahoe, Tahoe, Tahoe... that is where I would love to see the family reunion take place. I hear it's amazing. I have no definitive answer on dates at this time.
Brandon I love your research and "number haters" link. Thankfully I like numbers.
I like the idea of Tahoe because it's close to me. That's the only reason I like it. I hate it because it's Tahoe and it's full of stupid vacationers, it's expensive and it seems boring to me. I've never been to Colorado before but my company just bought a new school there (Woo!) so it'd be fun to visit.
The recommendation town (whatsitville) sounds nice but I can think of a better way of spending five hours with with family.
My only concern is vacation time. I'm budgeting out time to come back to Michigan in late March or early April (look out Michigan!) so I need to know how I should split up my two weeks.
Good work, Brandon, you super sleuth.
Use "The Force", Brandon!
Thanks for the research Brandon! Nicole and I are comfortable with either venue but I've never been to the Rockies in late summer and I've heard it's pretty sweet. Too bad we're not reunionizing in the winter, we just spent New Years in Breckenridge and got to snowboard on powder for the first time ever and I think I understand why people live there now.
Well I vote for Tahoe because I love it here, and it is only 30 mins form my house in Reno. I do get discount for family at Northstar at Tahoe, 50% off the rake rates, Here is the website http://www.northstarattahoe.com/index.asp You can check out the lodging available by looking at the lodging site, we have houses and condos.
Make sure to check out the summer site too, there is a ton to do depending on when you come. In August there is Shakespeare on the Lake, and Hot August nights in Reno
http://www.laketahoeshakespeare.com/
http://www.hotaugustnights.net/
There is also the Lake Tahoe Music Festival
http://www.tahoemusic.org/
And in the first week of September there is my most favorite event
Rib Cook Off
http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com/
That is just some of the things that are going on here; there are more concerts in the park and other summer events that happen at Squaw Valley and in Tahoe City. All with in 15 mins of Northstar. This is a over all Tahoe site, http://www.tahoesbest.com/
I will need to know dates ASAP so I can check availability let me know what you all decide.
ok, i like both areas. and thank you for making it look like us 2nd geners can plan things. but back to the issue, i would love to come. however i dont know where i'll be. oh, but turns out i'll be done july 31st so if its in august, im down. CO seems like it has a lot to do. can we stay with you? i work for free. :) tahoe is cool too.
Great turnout so far--thanks! How about some kind of Arceo representation? And the rest of the Michigan Krew? Remaining West Siiiiiiders? Chicago--where you at? (Dad, you should know that the cool kids are all abusing prepositions in such ways.)
Sharon, thanks for reposting all that! As far as dates go: I started off using July 31 - August 3 as my arbitrary dates for getting info, and no one has voiced any opposition to it. I say we lock it in right now before anyone starts whining or making up math camps or whatever. Would you mind checking to see what kind of availability your place has then?
Adam, the Oskar Blues Brewery is about an hour from Denver. It's also on the top of the Reunion Field Trip list.
Becky, thanks for checking in. Glad you guys are in for early August.
Bells, I'm happy to hear that someone out there likes numbers. I generally want to kick them in the mouth.
CA Bill, sorry we missed you while you were here, but glad you had fun. The Rockies are pretty sweet in the late summer. Unless they're playing Boston.
Aunt Reets, good arguments for the other side. Looks like your super blog power has been compromised, though, as we are no longer all backed up.
Obi - Thanks for the advice. Hey, I bet you know my uncle: he lives in Lathrup Village, too. You've probably seen each other at the supermarket before.
wow, there is a whole family world in here! i had no idea. my apologies for being so tardy... and for using the word tardy. in short i vote for Tahoe any weekend in august. i would go to Winterbottoms though, it sounds nice.
Okay I will check the dates of July 31-Aug 3, and let everyone know.
btw thank you brandon for all your first rate research and excellent use of hyperlinks. tally ho chap! btw how do you do that? also btw- btw= 'by the way' an american colloquialism meaning 'in addition to' or 'other useless info for you'. this blogging is fun! who wants to take it to the next level and do some 'water-blogging'?
Matt has obviously had too many mushrooms - or maybe not enough!!
Let us not forget that Michigan is still a very affordable vacation destination for many of us in the mid-west. As an example, I offer you Pentwater, Michigan. (http://www.mypentwater.com/)
This is a small vacation village on the coast of Lake Michigan that has a State Park for camping, cottages, condos, B&B's, hotels & motels. Please take a moment to review so we all have fair input. Thanks.
I liked that website, Frank - and it seems like there are lots of places to stay. Silver Lake Dunes are nearby - old vacationing grounds for the Sipes family! I'll keep browsing it. :)
The reservation manager sent me a email that said "No houses will be booked until we receive the Homeowners calendars for summer, which will be in May. One thing that you can do is to look on our website to see what house(s) that you want and I will contact the homeowner if they are amiable to pre-reserving the house prior to HO calendars we can pre book.Condos are not really a problem. Everything is still wide open for those dates."
Let me know what you guys decide, Northstar is super busy right now, so I wouldn't go back to the res manager until the end of February.
Brandon,Thanks for allyour work on getting the gang together for summer. I agree with Frank,Pentwater MI.on Lake MI.this is the 4th time I,ve typed this message,hope it goes this time.I began reading some of my 600 e-mails,we have a funny family.
welcome back pam!
Well Michigan is far for me but I'd be down. I do love MI in the summer. My only request is WATER. I would like to have access to sometype of H2O on my vaca. Lakes, Oceans whatever.
silver lake! silver lake! i do miss michigan...occasionally. is it possible for us to go back to cross village? that was a perfect setup.
Frank, I think you are on to something. I vote for the 'Great Lake State'.
Brandon, you the man! We all love you, too.
Matt, this 'water-blogging' sounds intriguing. Sign me up!
Michigan Sounds great to me. Silver Lake, Pentwater, or even the Saginaw River (although I wouldnt recommend going any where near the water) Michigan is good.
i think we are l e a n i n g toward michigan...... :>)
Hi family! this may be a little late for dates since everyone seems to like july 31 - aug 3. im ok with that, however, the 31st is my last day in sacramento so i would need time to get back ect. i didnt see what days of the week they are and if those dates are good for everyone then i will probably just be a day or so late to whereever.
Brandon and Sharon: excellent research - my thanks to you both!
Adam & Brandon: incredibly funny hyperlinks - you both rock!
I am for both MI and Tahoe, but leaning toward Tahoe due to less cost. Sorry, just my state of $$ right now :) Besides, we are an adventuresome and wildly funny group who will have fun anywhere. Tally ho to Tahoe!
-meg
uh oh, we are getting a bit divided. i think someone needs to make an executive decision. i suggest Pam. she's very level-headed and fair.
I spoke with Frank today about this division, Matt.
It is time to make a decision folks. Please check all links provided.
My choice, due to the larger number of folks who can attend if its in MI, now lies with MI. Pentwater link from Frank is excellent.
Let's make this happen gang!!
Thanks everyone, for your input and for voting! I think we're about ready to make a decision, so, if you haven't voted, please do so by Thursday night.
Matt: the hyperlink thing is easy on the original blog posts (there's a button for it), but a little more involved for the comment section. You can find instructions for both here.
I vote for a Michigan vacation gathering.
My "big" sis informed me today that the voting polls for this close tomorrow, so I better put my two cents in. Well, actually I only have 1 cent due to our recent move and with my big life change coming this summer (for those who don't know, you are so out of the loop), I step back from voting. We are unsure if we would be able to make it, also with new jobs it's always hard to get vacation.
i am changing my vote as of right now to MI. i will do my best to help people get in - look for cheap flites, i have companion passes i can use. may be kathy will too (if she still has airline employment...)
2 for MI
chris & randy
winter park, you sound lovely but i think i need someone with more gutzpah, (sorry about your name). michigan, and especially silver lake, i love you too much i think. for a simple summer fling i will have to go with ......... tahoe.
Hey Bando!
Good work on all of the research. Jenn and I vote for 1) Michigan, then a close 2) Winter Park. Also, Tahoe would be cool. OK I'm bad at decisions. Either way, we're definitely looking forward to hanging out with the family this summer!
-NS
YAY ~ Selinsky family bash this summer!! Ok, well I see the polls have been closed for about 5 weeks now, and I'm incredibly behind the times (as usual)...but the Piazzas also vote for Michigan! Can't wait to see all of you ~ sounds like it's going to be a blast wherever we end up. Hope all is well in your respective areas :o)
Post a Comment