Friday, July 11, 2008

Summer Reading

Just finished reading John Steinbeck's, "The Grapes of Wrath". What a POS! I can't believe that this is an all-time classic American author. The book had very thin character development and a very thin to nearly non-existent story plot. This may have struck a nerve in the 1930's, but in 2008, the characters came off like a bunch of winers.

While reading how the Joad fambly crossed half of America in a rickety old car converted to a truck enduring the relentless and sweltering heat of the California desert, I couldn't help but think of John & Meg driving across the heartland in search of the Promised Land. And upon reaching California in hopes of living their dream, they were supressed and held to slave wages by the established land barons who took no pity on their pennyless plight. Fred, this would be your role.

Has anyone else read anything good lately that they would be willing to recommend?

fjs

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I just finished Water for the
Elephants, which I really enjoyed.
It is about the circus, but it keeps your interest, and has a surprising, but perfect ending.

Brandon said...

I read Water for Elephants and enjoyed most of it. I particularly liked the historical elements--it was very well-researched and painted a colorful picture of what it was like to survive during the Depression.

I've mentioned this next one before, but UF's description of the long transnational journey reminded me of it again: The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. It is a very dark tale about a father and son as they try to reach the coast (from where, I don't know. Could be Kansas. Or Michigan. Or the east end of Huntington Beach) in post-apocalyptic America. The struggle is so vivid and interesting, it's kind of like watching a movie in which a character is under water for a long period of time, and you just want them to come up and breathe so you can breath. McCarthy also wrote No Country for Old Men and All the Pretty Horses, and I hear someone is making a movie of The Road.

Last one: The Story of French. For anyone who is interested in the formation, development, and influences of a major world language, regardless of whether you speak it (I don't), this is a great book. It was written by a couple of Canadians, and it has a distinctly anti-English feel at times. But they do a good job of detailing the evolution and spread of French, and the subsequent language battles between different French-speaking peoples. Yeah, that's right, French people doing battle. With words, mostly. Probably better for them.

the hibs said...

brandon, what's with all the dark?
dark stories, dark authors, dark dog.
i don't know if the movie version of 'no country for old men' was true to the novel but i hated it.

Reets said...

I'm taking notes on all the good reads you all are sharing. I do read a lot...then forget the title and author as soon as I am onto the next good book. Just finished teh newwest Barbara Delisnky novel ( a favorite storyteller when I want something light). I'll try to do a better job of sharing the wealth. Thanks for your reviews! Rita